12/04/2009

A Glitter(y) Christmas

We got a Christmas tree tonight. This is the first year since we have been married that I have put any effort into decorating the tree.
The first year we used all of Nic's ornaments from his single man days. Well, technically he was still single since we did not get married until two weeks after Christmas. There were not very many so the tree looked a little sparse, and they were multi-colored which gave it a somewhat cheap look.
The second year we purchased a tree, set it up in our sunroom....and never decorated it. Not even lights people. We let it die and finally took it out in March when we moved.
Last year we were not going to get a tree because we had just purchased our house and money was tight. We were gifted a tree by Nic's parents, the church had an extra one and they thought of us. So thoughtful! Unfortunately the tree smelled like dog urine. We left it up and suffered through the holiday season but as soon as possible we got it out of the house. I purchased a few ornaments, mostly the cheap ball ornaments but that was about it. On clearance after Christmas I got some adorable owl ornaments and put them away for the next year.
Fast forward to this year; we went to Target before we picked up the tree and I got two more ornaments. I would have loved to get more but ornaments are kind of expensive. I specifically did not get the ornaments that were buy 2 get 1 free, although I had intended to. You see, when I went to look at them they were all glittery. I loathe glittery things. I try not to buy glittery cards, I stay away from glittery ornaments and even glittery nail polish is taboo (although probably for different reasons). Glitter has this magical power, when it is touched it immediately attaches itself to you, everything around and most definitely ends up on your face. Its powers of multiplication are unmatched. You can be picking up glitter from a birthday card that you got two months ago and promptly threw away. You can have a stray piece of glitter by your eye long after the Christmas ornaments have been packed away. Needless to say, I don't do glitter anything.
After overcoming my disappointment in not getting the deal I thought I was, I found the two previously mentioned ornaments and I did purchase some ribbon to use in place of garland. I was really satisfied with the ribbon I found, cream with silver and gold snowflakes.
After we left Target we went and bought our tree, hurried home to give Remy a bath and put him to bed. Once he was asleep and Nic had left to work on a project, I started working on the tree. Imagine my chagrin when I open up the roll of ribbon, so I can cut it in equal lengths, and realize not only is the border on the ribbon glittery, but all of the snowflakes are glittery as well.
There is glitter everywhere in my house. On my dining room table, coating the floor in several rooms, all over the bottoms of my socks, all over my sweatshirt...and I am sure I have some in my hair and by my eyes (why does it always go to the eyes?!!). I have swept twice and swiffered once. Still the glitter persists, as I am sure it will well into February even if I take the tree down December 26.
I do have to admit though, the ribbon adds so much pizazz to my tree!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oooooo you have to put up pictures of your tree! We put ours up out in the porch to keep the kids off it...we may move it into the living room though, it seems so far away.

Unknown said...

Rachel, u r hilarious! We r opposites in this...my tree is covered in big sparkly colored glass balls, sparkly ribbon & tinsel!!! You'd have a cow over my tree! LOL